Sunday, June 11, 2006

Louisville

We were in Louisville, KT for Jennifer's board exams. What I saw of the city, which was not much, is quite pleasing. I am not sure what I had expected, but it is a beautiful town.

It is a bit odd in being rather bi-polar, I have seen many people who appear not to be able to afford to take a shower walking down the street being past by Porsches and Lexuses, and not the cheap ones (these were Carreras Lexus convertibles). There is clearly a lot of disposable income in Louisville, but it does seem rather concentrated. The buildings are in a similar state. I walked down to the 'museum district' and as one would expect, that area is filled with gleaming posh businesses. I passed several expensive looking ad agencies, but right in the middle is a very dilapidated building with a tree growing out of the wall. Urban renewal seems in full swing, but looks to be a bit sporadic.
I keep ogling at all the beautiful buildings, even the ones falling down and dreamed about renovating them. This is probably just a reaction to the rather dull state of Houston architecture. I have been starved for so long that I don't think I would mind having a tree growing out of my wall, if it was a nice wall.

Jennifer is just happy to have a Whole Foods in town, and naturally, that is where we stopped first.

We took a few pleasant drives through the city which fluctuated from developed down town to more relaxed sprawl that felt more like an extended small town then 'generica', though we did eventually find our selves there.I had a nice time visiting a few museums in town, The Science Museum, Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft, and Glassworks. I was reluctant to return to College Station.

No comments: